Sunday, May 16, 2010

Voice Recognition Software Review

Speech recognition software has been around for a while now, I tried one a couple of years ago that came with my new laptop and I was not very impressed. No matter how difficult I tried it would always get at least 8/10 words wrong, so I stopped using it. I looked around for other ones to see if there was anything better out there but I didn't find a thing that was worth using so I stopped looking.

Until recently I really had no need for speech recognition software but now that I've started writing articles I found that my typing skills or rather lack of, made it hard for me to embark on typing or writing articles. The one finger typing just didn't cut it. I found that I would dread the theme of starting a article, so I started my search for new speech recognition software.


Things you ought to look for in voice recognition software

Here are a couple of things you ought to look for in voice recognition software.

o Ease of use -You ought to look for software where the commands and menus are easy to use. you are able to have a great program that turns your speech into text with great accuracy but when you try and use the commands and menus that are hard to use you will become very frustrated.

o Accuracy - When searching voice recognition software you ought to try out a couple of different ones. You will find that not all software is alike, I tried out a couple of that drove me nuts, I couldn't get what I was saying on the screen, it becomes very frustrating when you must keep repeating the line to try and get it right. Accuracy is very significant.

o Commands - A good voice recognition software will let you navigate your computer by voice. They will let you open and close other programs and use the features inside them all by voice command.

o Dictation - a great test of a good voice recognition program is dictation. Look for a program that is good at recognizing speech and accurately transcribed the text.

o Features - so the features you ought to look for in voice recognition software are voice training, this lets a computer become familiar with your voice. Also features let you customize commands and support accent.

I find that when I'm using voice recognition software I write more like I'm having a conversation, it also gives my work a nice flow, this may be a result of not worrying about my spelling and because my typing is so slow and inaccurate I tend to take shortcuts and leave out words and sentences.

I think now I'm really going to enjoy writing my articles on my hobby which is collecting diecast cars, like NASCAR, Formula One, Indy Car, muscle cars, you get the picture.

There are a lot of voice recognition software out on the market, after checking around I decided on Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 Preferred from Nuance Communications. In my opinion I believe that Dragon Naturally Speaking 10 is among the best voice recognition software on the market right now. I suggest you do your diligence and research for the software that you prefer, prices can range anywhere from $20-$800 plus, so you need to choose on what suits your requires and budget.

I am so enjoying this software, I am going to be using this every chance I get. I hope you find this information helpful in your quest for finding a good voice recognition software.

No comments: