Saturday, May 15, 2010

Beware of Railroads and Trains When Doing Speech Recognition!

If you do several work online, or several writing, then you really have to get speech recognition software. it is a lot better than it ever has been in the past, and accuracy rates are now around 97%. But, I have to warn you about noise pollution, portable generators, the embark on-up band in the garage next door, loud "rap music" with bass, and believe it or not railroad trains.

It seems these vibrations interfere immensely with this speech recognition software, which means that your accuracy rates will fall significantly, and you will spend an exorbitant amount of time editing.


How do I know this? Ah, I'm glad you asked.

Over the last five years I have been writing articles on the Internet, and I am in reality approaching 20,000 now, and during a couple of of those years I was traveling around the country in a motor home, and I often had the generator going to power up the energy and electricity needed to run the laptop. In doing so, I noted that my speech recognition accuracy went down by a couple percentage points.

Indeed, I also noted that if I was in a campground anywhere near a railroad track the accuracy would plummet a good 10% even with a train more than a mile away. At that point, it made sense to stop using this voice recognition software and go back to the old slow manner of typing, and risking carpal tunnel?

If you're going to use speech recognition software and have music going in the background with a strong bass, or if you live next to a freeway, or if there are any rumbling sounds near you, then you will see exactly what I'm talking about.

Although, I could not find any information on this anywhere online, it's the reality and so, decided to write this article, yes, using speech voice recognition Dragon Software. Indeed, I nonetheless think it's a worthy consideration for writers and users of voice software to understand, and recommend it to you.

No comments: